Standup paddle-boarding has exploded in popularity the past few years. A sort of combination between surfing and kayaking, it has become a hit on oceans, lakes and rivers across the world including in India. Here's 10 reasons why you should ditch Netflix and head on over to the Bangalore Kayak/SUP Workshop happening at our Kerekaadu Camp near Manchinbele
1. Fun – Stand up paddle boarding can only be described as great fun, especially for those people who love being on the water. That’s why it’s the fastest growing sport on the planet.
2. Anyone Can Do It – People of all ages are trying it, loving it and including stand up paddleboarding in their recreation and exercise routines. Many surfers are converting to SUP surfing because they have the ability to catch more waves in a set, as well as offering a better view of incoming sets
3. Easy – Learning how to stand up on, stabilize, and paddle a SUP in flat water is much easier than learning how to surf in waves. (If you’ve ever tried surfing you know what I mean.) Of course a lot of people progress to riding their SUP’s in the waves, but you don’t have to in order to have fun.
4. Exercise and Fitness – Stand up paddleboarding is great exercise. It strengthens the core abdominal muscles as well as arms, legs and all the muscles of the back and shoulders. Whether you go out for a flat-water paddle, surfing, or racing, women can burn 500 – 700 calories and hour, and for men calories burned can range from 700 – 1000. Many people are using stand up paddle boarding as a platform to practice Pilates exercise and yoga on the water. Any way you try it, SUP’ing has great fitness value.
5. Minimal Ultra Lightweight Equipment – All you need to get started in the sport is a board, paddle, leash and PFD (personal floatation device or lifejacket). Ultra lightweight boards and paddles make transporting them a breeze.
6. SUP Anywhere – Stand up paddleboarding is versatile and can be done anywhere you find safe water. You can SUP on lakes, rivers, ocean, bays, and harbors. If the surf is flat it doesn’t mean you can’t have an adventure.
7. Family Time Together – Stand up paddleboarding is a great way to share fun as a family. Mom, Dad and the kids can easily master SUP’ing. You can even bring your dog along for the ride.
8. Social Time With Friends – Once you learn how to SUP you’ll soon find that it is even more fun to paddle with friends. It’s effortless to paddle along side your buddy and just chat away.
9. Gets You Out In Nature – Stand up paddleboarding puts you right out there to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of nature. With the water under your feet you’ll find that you have the perfect viewpoint to observe amazing creatures swimming and moving about below you. You’ll be able to see birds in action, witness a serene sunrise, paddle through mist, or marvel at a breathtaking sunset. Whether you are on a solo, family, or social paddle stand up paddleboarding connects you with your natural surroundings.
10. Inspirational Recreation – Stand up paddleboarding is a healthy activity to recreate and recharge yourself. It puts you in the moment and provides the opportunity to reflect on the values and realities that are often missed in the activities of daily life. Gliding across the water gives you a sense of freedom and inspiration.
Ready to get started? Come over to the Bangalore Kayak Campout and hang with us.