The wonderful thing about kayaking is it easy to learn and very hard to stop! Join us as we take you through a workshop designed by kayaking/SUP professionals Goodwave Adventures in the pristine river sections of Iruvanjhipuza and Chalipuzha in Calicut district of Kerala.
What will you learn?
To get comfortable in the kayak in the water
Basic entry and re-entry maneuvers
Fitness conditioning and warm up techniques before going out to paddle
Unloading a kayak
Launching a kayak
Paddle strokes: forward, backward, bracing and learning how to manoeuver the whitewater kayak.
Age limit: Only Applicable for age above 12 years
We do not offer any certifications for stand up paddling but we will teach you the strokes and maneuvers as prescribed by the ACA stand-up paddling syllabus for level 1 & 2.
We have a ratio of only 4 students per instructors to ensure that every participant is given adequate attention during the course
DAY 1 (6 HOURS)
The first day of the course is meant to get you familiar with the basics of the sport. You will be taught and made to practice the following skills in a section of a river that is fairly still.
- Getting the hang of the basics
- River safety protocol
- Swimming in the river
- Gear familiarity and boat control
- Basic paddling strokes, forward, backward, side and turn strokes
- Self-rescue and Eskimo rescue technique
- Negotiating Class II rapids
DAY 2 (6 HOURS)
In this session, you will be taught to negotiate currents and we will introduce you to handling your kayak in moving water. You will be taught the different white water kayaking skills that are essential to maneuver the kayak down the river.
The last 3 hours of this session we will guide you down a class II river section where will you have an opportunity to test your newly acquired paddling skills. While kayaking down this section you will experience the true beauty of a wild jungle river, breathtaking views of the gorge along with the taste of adrenalin rush that is part and parcel of white water kayaking.
Travel and stay plan
Depart Bangalore at 3:30 PM on Friday.
Reach Hotel in Kodenchery around 11 PM and overnight at the hotel
Saturday, 10:30 AM - 5:30 PM LTK session on the river.
Dinner and overnight stay at the hotel
Sunday: Start LTR-Intro session at 9 AM on the river
Depart for Bangalore at 4:30 PM.
Arrive in Bangalore around 11 PM
For individuals traveling from outside Bangalore, bus transport is available to the final destination. It is advisable to leave the Friday night and arrive Saturday early morning. The return trip would be to leave Sunday night and arrive Monday morning.
*Food, Accommodation and Local Transport ie extra-charged as per actuals.
Estimate of actuals
- Accommodation : Rs 1500 (per head, non-A/C, twin sharing basis)
- Food: Rs. 1500 (approx, depends on how much you actually eat
- Travel: Rs. 2500 (ex-Bangalore) + Rs. 800 local transport (hotel-river)
PLEASE NOTE (IMPORTANT)
- Kayaking is an extremely instructor intensive activity and therefore to ensure the safety of the participants we have a small ratio of only 3/4 students per instructors
- Our Students are given the top quality equipment which has been certified for use on any grade of whitewater.
- Our courses are based on the syllabus as prescribed by the ACA (American Canoe Association)
- Transport to and from the city can be arranged upon request at an extra cost
- 100 % refund between 7 days prior to the course date
- 50% refund or 100% credit between 2-7 days prior to the course date
- No refund or 50% credit between 0-48 hrs prior to the course date