Summer camp overview
A big hit at The Outback Experience is our unique Mother and Child Naturalist Camp. This specially crafted two-day camp is a perfect opportunity for all mothers to get to bond with their children and experience the best that nature has on offer at the same time.
Staying at The Outback Farm & Homestay, our own property on the edge of a gleaming lake, this is the perfect gateway to experiencing the joys of birding, wildlife tracking, angling and wildlife photography.
What’s better, with award-winning wildlife photographer Phillip Ross as your camp leader, you and your child are sure to have a fun-filled time getting to explore areas of Bannerghatta seldom visited by tourists.
About the Campsite
The campsite is situated right on the fringes of the Bannerghatta National Park. This unique park, home to wild Asiatic elephants, boasts of being the world’s closest wilderness to a metropolis. The park is richly diverse and is also home to tigers, leopards, wild dogs, sloth bears and an array of nocturnal wanderers including the rare honey badger or ratel in addition to more commonly sighted animals such as gaur, wild boar and various species of deer. The park is also a birdwatcher’s paradise, with over 150 species of bird, including the yellow-throated bulbul and rufous-bellied eagle. Be assured to sight at least 30 species within the property.
Enrol yourself and watch your child develop into a budding young naturalist.
Takeaways from the Camp
- Bonding together in a new, unique way while experiencing the best of nature
- A very luxurious stay and delicious meals at The Outback Farm & Homestay, Bannerghatta
- Learning exciting new skills
- Get fascinated by activities like angling and bird hide photography
- A fun-filled great holiday
- Expert guidance from wildlife photographer Phillip Ross
Who is this camp for?
Any child between the ages of 6 and 14, accompanied by their mothers are welcome to enrol for this camp. There are no other eligibility criteria.
- Meet at the pick up point in Bangalore and all mother and child duo’s will travel in an air-conditioned force traveller and proceed towards Bannerghatta.
- On arrival at The Outback Farm & Homestay in Bannerghatta, camp leader Phillip Ross will welcome all mothers and our aspiring young naturalists to this beautiful campsite on the banks of a lake amidst the forest. After check-in, Phillip will introduce the property to you while you enjoy a refreshing welcome drink and later we will get to know each other through a fun ice-breaking name game.
- After the game, Phillip will talk to you about ornithology and will lead you around the beautiful property in search of its avian wonders. We should come across at least 30 species over the hour we spend birding. Once back at the rooms, we’ll give in to the enticing smells coming in from the kitchen. Yes, lunch time has arrived and the chef reveals the delicacies prepared.
- After a delicious lunch, and a presentation on nature photography will be conducted and the it’s time to pull out your cameras. Phillip will teach everyone about the ideal camera settings to set while shooting wildlife, how to carefully approach and photograph wildlife in order to capture those fantastic images and also the best ways to compose a beautiful image.
- Phillip will now lead the group to the bird photography hide, where you and your child can practice what you’ve learnt from the photography lesson, and where you will get to see and photograph birds like never before.
- After the hide photography session, we’ll embark on an exciting trek to a nearby hill from where we are treated to a panoramic view of the forests of Bannerghatta. From here, you and your child can witness an amazing sunset, click stunning landscape images and, if lucky, sight some of Bannerghatta’s wildlife in the valleys below. It’s a great place to spend the evening, bond with your child and practice what you’ve learnt from the photography lesson earlier. On the way down, we will learn about camera trapping and set up a camera trap, hoping that Bannerghatta’s nocturnal wanderers chooses to walk by sometime during the night or in the wee hours of the morning.
- Once back at the campsite, we will have a fun entertainment and sing-along session while enjoying the campfire, and hit the sack soon after a scrumptious dinner.
- We awake to the sweet calls of the birds found within the campsite and walk out of our room’s to watch the mist rising over the lake and the sun rays lighting up the surrounding forests. After a hot beverage, it’s time to grab fishing rods and bait, and head down to the water’s edge. Phillip will introduce the art of angling to everyone, and you and your child will learn about the various fishing methods, types of tackle and species of fish found in the lake, and how to cast, set the hook and carefully retrieve the catch without hurting the fish. Please remember that all fish caught will be released back into the lake.
- After a working up an appetite hooking onto some of the monsters in the lake, we rush to devour the breakfast buffet.
- After a hearty breakfast, we eagerly leave to retrieve the camera trap. What may have crossed the trap during the night? Once the camera trap is checked, we’ll return to the campsite and play some fun mother vs children games.
- During the last hour of the camp, Phillip will help put together the bird checklist and talk about wildlife conservation and the steps we can take in order to make a change.
- Finally, since all good things come to an end, we bid farewell to beautiful Bannerghatta. On the way back we reminisce about the highlights of the camp and return to the city, after having created new memories with your young naturalists!
- Transfers to and from the destination from a pick up point in Bangalore
- Shared accommodation in luxury tents.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and hot beverages (coffee and tea)
- Entry fees
- GST included
- Any extra meals and beverages ordered
- Anything that is not expressly mentioned in the inclusions list
1. What all items should my child bring to this camp?
Once you register and pay for the camp, the camp instructor will send out the camp advice and general guidelines to every participant. This document will contain all the necessary information, a checklist of items to carry, etc.
2. Will my child be safe during the camp?
Don’t worry at all! Your child’s safety is of paramount importance to us. The camp instructor is well trained with regards to child protection and health and safety.
3. Where are we staying and what sort of accommodation and food can we expect?
We will be staying at Outback Campground in Bannerghatta. The farm & homestay is situated right on the periphery of the park and overlooks the jungle. All participants will be staying in ultra-luxurious and well furnished rooms or tents. The food served is a delicious buffet spread of local, Indian and Anglo-Indian delicacies.